The Charter School Act of 1992 is the legislation that gave birth to charter schools in California. AB544 established further guidelines and requirements for charter schools.
It is the intent of the Legislature, in enacting this part, to provide opportunities for teachers, parents, pupils, and community members to establish and maintain schools that operate independently from the existing school district structure, as a method to accomplish all of the following:
a) Improve pupil learning.
b) Increase learning opportunities for all pupils, with special emphasis on expanded learning experiences for pupils who are identified as academically low achieving.
c) Encourage the use of different and innovative teaching methods.
d) Create new professional opportunities for teachers, including the opportunity to be responsible for the learning program at the school site.
e) Provide parents and pupils with expanded choices in the types of educational opportunities that are available within the public school system.
f) Hold the schools established under this part accountable for meeting measurable pupil outcomes, and provide the schools with a method to change from rule-based to performance-based accountability systems.
g) Provide vigorous competition within the public school system to stimulate continual improvements in all public schools.
For more information about charter schools, please contact Jack Kraemer (email@example.com) or 916-643-9079.
Please see below for a list of SCUSD charter schools.
- Bowling Green Charter McCoy Academy
- Bowling Green Charter Chacon Language & Science Academy
- California Montessori Project – Capitol Campus
- Capitol Collegiate Academy
- Capitol Heights Academy – Aspire
- George Washington Carver School of Arts and Science
- Growth Public Schools
- Language Academy of Sacramento
- New Joseph Bonnheim Community Charter
- Sacramento New Technology High School
- St. HOPE: Oak Park Preparatory Academy
- St. HOPE: Public School 7 (PS7)
- St. HOPE: Sacramento Charter High School
- Sol Aureus College Preparatory
- The Met Sacramento
- Yav Pem Suab Academy